Our field experience courses have limited enrollment. We typically aim to place 16 students in each course, with a minimum threshold of 10 students. Applications are collected through an online form, and students have approximately two weeks to apply. Once the application closes, the student services program coordinator will collate your course’s applications and share them with you electronically.
Some elements you may consider when selecting students:
- Local language ability
- Evidence of scholarly interest in the country to be visited and the topic to be examined
- Previous overseas travel. Proven ability to function overseas is a positive, but we also want to widen the perspectives of students who may not have had the opportunity to travel before.
- Academic achievement, including GPA and membership in honors programs
- Participation in student media or student media organizations
- Completion of an application essay explaining the field experience's role in a broader program of study
- Successful completion of relevant lower-level courses to ensure they are academically prepared for the specific coursework
- Recommendations from other faculty members, which can shed light on academic preparedness and maturity
You will have seven to 10 days to review the applications and provide an unranked list of your top 16 choices and a ranked list of alternates. The exact dates of these deadlines will be communicated to you well in advance for your planning purposes.
Because of the tight timing involved in this process, in-person student interviews are discouraged. If you feel interviews are necessary, it is your responsibility to coordinate the completion of those interviews within the window of time afforded for reviewing applications and selecting students.
We have a generic application, but you can also personalize if you want to ask specific questions. Do you want to require the students to submit additional information (e.g., a short essay, work examples, references, etc.)?
All students will be asked to submit the following documents before being given permission to enroll:
- Bursar authorization agreement
- OVST liability waiver
- Drug and alcohol policy form
- Emergency contact form
- Media release